This service is no longer available to purchase on SLA Online. Please contact the team using the details to the right for further information.
The Governor Support Team’s aim, as part of and working with, Learning Improvement Service (LIS) professionals is to ensure that you and your school or setting are enabled to become the best possible. The members of our team are known to you and know your schools and settings.
To facilitate this, and to also include Cumbria County Council’s statutory responsibilities, the following services are offered:
• Instrument of Government – to reflect reconstitution or any change to a governing body’s status (maintained schools)
• Appointment and reappointment process for Local Authority Governors (All)
• Establishing Interim Executive Boards and temporary/shadow governing bodies (maintained schools)
• Advice and support to governing bodies on the amalgamation and federation processes (maintained schools)
• Informing schools/academies of expressions of interest from potential new Governors.
• Database of governing body membership and terms of office where updates are provided
• Providing material to schools for the election and appointment of governors;
In addition, the Governor Support Team delivers core training programmes, including encouraging local network development for Clerks and Governors.
Details and booking a place on a GST event can be accessed through the Cumbria CPD brochure and booking process; in addition we will continue to send information to the Chair and Clerk of the governing body using our email distribution list.
Training and development is a necessary means of equipping governors with the skills and competencies to fulfill their responsibility to ensure the highest standards in their school. Investment in governors’ development is seen by the Department for Education as being as essential in school development - governors need to be:
• Fully aware of their wide ranging and evolving roles and responsibilities, including oversight of finance
• Capable of leading the strategic direction of the school
• Equipped to provide the support and challenge to schools that is expected under the Ofsted framework.
The Department for Education also recognises that the Clerk to governing bodies is a key contributor to the effectiveness of the governing body: ‘A governing body can only be truly effective when it has an effective Clerk in post’.